Monday, May 04, 2020

City of Heroes musings

Yeah, I know. It's been a while again. I don't have that exciting of a life. :) And this is mostly me rambling for my own sake.

Everyone's dealing with Covid lockdowns - at least until mid month.  (Or unless you're in a state with a governor that doesn't believe in... I don't know. Health.) So people are doing indoorsy things, unless you're deciding going to the beach in Florida and getting sick sounds fun. Sorry, these people and those being goaded into protesting just *irk* me with stupidity...

Anyway. So one of the things I'm doing is... playing City of Heroes. I played it when it was live, from issue 3 in 2005 to shutdown in 2012. I played on the SCORE servers while things were being worked out in secret. And i am now playing on Homecoming.

Early shot of Therra
While not my first character, my first 50 was an electric/electric blaster named Therra Arcson. I remember almost deleting her early on because I'd accidentally managed to killsteal from someone. I'm glad I didn't - the way to 50 with her involved my first supergroup and good friends (and RP, with occasional awkwardness) - Shadow of the Storm, on Pinnacle, co-leading (sort of) with Adam Green, player of Agent Snow.

Oy, did we ever get some long, convoluted stories going with multiple iterations of those characters. Therra was thought lost in an enemy base collapse, captured, interrogated, turned into a Peacebringer to escape - while Snow's nanites tried taking over and didn't want to recognize her at first, later clearing them involved "quantum" energy which made him basically deadly to her... rough relationship, but Snow did eventually get a new (male, again!) body and they had their happily ever after.
Snow and Kamre, the other two musketeers... 

Snow didn't play on live for some time before the shutdown, so..

Therra artwork
Still. The differences ... get me thinking. The game was harder back in issue 3. The game was new. It was missing a lot - like content between 38 and 40, if you happened to be in a blaster, the AT known as "debt collectors" (you gain "XP Debt" whenever you die) and "floor inspectors." I think it took a few hundred hours to get her to 50, but I finally did, with Snow. And we continued RPing the characters - she was a live character, not a bunch of numbers.

Now? Played her as a new archetype called a "Sentinel." Still electric/electric, but this time describing the blast powerset and an armor set.

I don't have an agent snow this time. Sure, in my mind she's paired with another alt, to have some sort of a life, though she knows "something" is missing. But... not quite the same. She was just on random pick up groups here and there. And with all the changes since 2005... she made it in 58 hours.  I did have some supergroup (SG, other MMOs call them "guilds" and the like) mates from another SG help out for a bit, teaming from ... about 45 1/2 to 45 3/4, but it just wasn't the same.

Granted, I usually have one, maybe two, RP "mains" who get the attention - in this case, it's a little Brute called Ishku (took her name from mishearing someone say "is coo'" and it kind of became hers,) with Cat as my secondary, trying to figure out... what to do with her, as her erstwhile partner, well... isn't in the same place. And the feeling is there, more, with her.

Mm. Is it an issue? I don't know. Maybe it's just a thing.

Happy 50, Therra...
Homecoming Therra hits 50




No comments: